I was making Nan some french fries with my new Pampered Chef French Fry cutter and remember that my Pampered Chef Consultant had mentioned making zucchini fries with it. I decided to give it a shot. I was NOT disappointed. These were, shall I dare say, better than regular fries! Served up with a side of ranch.
When I had graduated from high school I worked the swing shift at a home for developmentally disabled. When we would get off work about 10:30 we'd often go to Denny's for something to eat before going home. One of my favorite things to eat was deep fried zucchini. Making these fries today brought back memories...and they were much lighter and healthier.
I really did not measure anything so please if you make this feel free to add whatever seasonings you enjoy.
Oven Baked Zucchini Fries
1 zucchini (or more depending on how many you want)
almond milk (unsweetened plain)
panko bread crumbs
1. Cut ends off zucchini and cut zucchini in half. This makes for nice short sticks.
2. I used my french fry cutter. That thing is awesome. BUT if you do not have one, then just cut your zucchini into "sticks". You could even cut them into circles if your zucchini are small enough.
3. Mix egg and almond milk together. I probably used 1/4 c. of almond milk.
4. Mix bread crumbs and seasonings in another container.
5. Add sticks to egg mixture, then flour, then back to egg mixture. I found doing this helped the panko crumbs to stick better and these sticks were crunchier coming out of the oven.
6. Dredge in panko crumbs and place on a oiled or sprayed cooking sheet.
7. Bake on 400+ (I kept adjusting my temp up to 475) until coating is nicely browned but not over done.
8. Serve immediately with ranch dressing or dressing of your choice.
I did a few without using the flour and the panko crumbs didn't stick quite so well and those ones tended to not be as crispy.
My french fry cutter is great because for the life of me I've never been able to cut fries the dimensions I'd like.
These would be an awesome appetizer to a BBQ or just a simple snack.
With Joy UNquenchable,