New Bread Recipe

I love homemade bread. I don't always find good recipes. Well, the other day I found another one to add to the recipe "box". I stumbled upon it while I was searching for a particular recipe. It happened to be the first link that came up so I clicked on it. I'm so glad I did.

Jo-Lynne's blog Musings of a Housewife, is filled with wonderful stuff. Check out her About Me page.

The recipe I found was for her Whole Wheat Sandwich bread. You can find the whole recipe here. I was a wee bit nervous, I always am when I'm trying a brand new bread recipe..between that and pie crust, I don't always get it right. I had no need to be worried...it turned out wonderfully. I LOVED the texture of it...I had THREE pieces. I mean, I had to have a piece warm (and I couldn't throw the heel away), and then I had to have a piece after it had cooled to make sure it still tasted good. It rose wonderfully, and I'm sure by tomorrow night both loaves will be gone. 

Her recipe makes 4 loaves but my mixer can only handle a recipe for two loaves. This recipe is easily halved and it doesn't affect the end result. 

I didn't have spelt flour like the recipe called so I just used white, unbleached flour. I would like to try spelt though. Her recipe also calls for using coconut oil or butter. I was afraid to use all coconut oil because I don't really care for coconut flavor so I used half coconut oil and half butter. I couldn't taste it so next time I might use all coconut oil. 
 I have really been loving using my mixer to make bread. This time I made it all the way through the kneading phase and it worked perfectly.

 Ready to pop in the oven to rise. My house is never warm enough for bread to rise properly so I heat my oven to 200 degrees, turn it off and place the dough inside covered with a towel.
 Ta-da....first rising done.
 Ready to split in to loaves.....
 Her instructions said to roll out dough (sorry I didn't take a picture of that part, but I'd say it's close to a 12" circle but doesn't need to be perfect) and then roll tightly into a log and pinch the seams to close.
 Turn roll over so seam is on the bottom and fold ends in. I wasn't sure how far in to fold them so I went to where they almost touched because in my thinking if they didn't then the middle wouldn't be as thick.
 Place in greased/buttered pans and place in warm area to rise for a second time. These are mine baking...350 for about 30 minutes. Mine was about 25 minutes. 
 Done and hot out of the oven. Mine weren't as pretty as Jo-Lynnes, but hey they sure tasted great.
I absolutely loved the texture of this bread. I think it's going to become a favorite.

With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts