Super Simple, Super Quick, Super Good tomato soup

 About  a month ago I had made this chunky tomato soup. It was rich, it was yummy, it was almost gourmet tasting, but it wasn't a soup I could just whip up quickly at the last minute and, well, it wasn't like canned tomato soup. I suppose I could make it last minute, though it wouldn't be speedy. A few weeks ago, my youngest was having some tooth pain, caused by some loose teeth that were making it uncomfortable to chew. We were running low on groceries and I wasn't  sure what I could make her that didn't require chewing. That's when I remembered that a friend of mine had posted a very simple recipe for tomato soup. I had the ingredients on hand so decided to give it a try. It was a huge success. It was done within 20 minutes or less and my Nan loved it. So here it is! Go make it!

Ingredients: 

1 15 oz. can tomato sauce (store bought or home canned)
2-3 tbs. butter
2-3 tbs. flour
1/4 tsp. salt (optional)
1 c. milk
salt and pepper to taste
optional: 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, other seasonings such as basil or oregano

Instructions:

In a saucepan on medium heat, melt butter, add flour and stir for about 1 minute. Add milk and salt. Stir until sauce is a medium thickness. Add tomato sauce and if desired diced tomatoes (I left them out). I also added some water, about 1/2 a can to thin it out a bit. Add your seasonings to taste and serve. YUM!!! So good and while the canned sauce still has sodium, you can use low sodium if you want, it doesn't taste as salty as canned tomato soup does. My friend uses evaporated milk, but I didn't have any and just used regular milk. This was fast, easy, yummy and got two thumbs up from everyone who ate it. It can easily serve 2-4 people depending on how much you eat. 

This could be adjusted depending on the amount of people, just double the white sauce and add more tomato sauce.  

With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts