Recipe: Cauliflower Pizza Crust

In the ever changing world of the things we eat, I tried a new recipe last night. My husband has wanted to experiment with some Paleo recipes and I'm always up for trying something new. We love pizza, homemade pizza that is and I had been seeing recipes floating around Pinterest for Cauliflower pizza crust. SAY WHAT!?! Yep, cauliflower pizza crust. I gave it a shot last night and it was a huge success.

As I was looking through recipes online I discovered that the ingredients were all pretty similar though some of the methods varied. I will share how I made it. If you didn't tell someone what it was made of, they wouldn't know...yes, it's a much thinner and softer crust but the flavor is great.

Ingredients: makes roughly an 8 x 12 crust

4 c. "riced" cauliflower (1 head of cauliflower)
1 egg
1 c. mozzerella cheese or cheese of choice
1 tsp. oregano
1/2-1 tsp. garlic powder (or could use minced garlic)

Directions: 
1. You can use a grater, however I used my food processor (which has become my newest favorite kitchen tool). Process cauliflower florets till they are "riced"..see pic below.
2. Place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes..no liquid needed. 
3. Here's the key to a drier crust. Allow cauliflower to cool slightly and then place in a clean dish towel. Ring out excess liquid (I got about 1/2 c. of liquid out of it). Place back in bowl.Fluff with a fork. This will decrease the volume by quite a bit but it's worth it. Therefore if you want a larger crust you will need to double recipe. It really comes down to playing with it. 
4. Add in remaining ingredients and mix well.
5. Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. This will keep crust from sticking. Dump mixture on to pan and pat with your hands. Crust should be about 1/3" thick. 
6. Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes or until nicely browned. Remove from heat and top with your desired toppings. Place back in oven for 5-10 minutes. 
There ya have it. A new and yummy twist to pizza. One that is lighter and won't leave you feeling weighed down. Go ahead, give it a try! 

With Joy UNquenchable,


Comments

  1. ooooh... I haven't tried this yet, but I've seen it all over. Yours looks especially cheesy and delicious!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nominated you for a Liebster Award http://www.salvagesisterandmister.com/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for leaving me a note. I look forward to making new friends on this blogging journey!

Popular Posts